The True Benefits of Mentorship on an Employee’s Career
December 17th, 2013 by Michelle Manson
In the article she examines the reasons why an employee would seek out a mentor. Here’s an excerpt:
“The benefits of a mentorship are primarily attitudinal in nature. They can effect a change in attitude, such as job satisfaction; behaviour, such as job performance; or motivation, such as career commitment. So, before you rush to check off “find a mentor” on your career goal list, ask yourself why it is that you need a mentor.
- Do you want to build or expand your professional network?
- Do you want to enhance your leadership skills?
- Are you looking to develop your problem-solving abilities?
- Do you want to facilitate better communication among your colleagues?
- Are you seeking new perspectives?
- Are you trying to figure out how to navigate your company’s corporate culture?”
Here’s the complete article – it’s a great read!