Mentoring gives mentees a chance to meet new people, learn new skills and get new opportunities. However as the article 5 Ways To Scare Away Your Career Mentor in the Business Insider points out, having a mentor alone doesn’t guarantee success. Being a mentee also means being responsible and making an effort to create a successful mentoring partnership.
To get the most out of mentoring, the article suggests, mentees should avoid scaring away their mentors. Here is a list of what not to do:
1. Be vague with one’s mentoring needs.
2. Not take advice seriously.
3. Call or email too often or too little.
4. Expect help instead of asking for help.
5. Misappropriate or share private information.